Steubenville, Ohio is located along the Ohio River in Jefferson County, Ohio It is the county seat of Jefferson County and is largely considered part of the Pittsburgh Tri-State area, unofficially as a suburb despite its own individual identity. It is also a principal city of the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 19,329. Steubenville is called the City of Murals because of over 25 murals in the downtown area, and is the home of Franciscan University, Jefferson Community College, Old Fort Steuben, and the Creegan Animation Factory.
Steubenville was platted as a town in 1797, immediately after the creation of Jefferson County. It was built on the site of Fort Steuben which was erected in 1786-1787 and named in honor of Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Steubenville received a city charter in 1851. The city was also a stop along the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railrod that connected Pittsburgh to Chicago and St. Louis. Bezaliel (Bezaleel) Wells and James Ross were the founders of the city. Wells, a government surveyor born in Baltimore, received about a thousand acres of land west of the Ohio River, and Ross, a lawyer from Pittsburgh, owned acreage north of his. The two men were responsible for the layout of the city.